The mission of the DPW is to provide efficient, cost effective, high quality service relative to the operation, maintenance, planning, review and construction of public works infrastructure for the City of Fitchburg.
The DPW functions to provide safe travel over city streets and walkways, environmental stewardship through the treatment and distribution of high quality potable water, efficient conveyance and treatment of wastewater, and the management of storm water to meet environmental standards. DPW assists and promotes the economic development and sustainable growth of the city through maintenance of City assets, the plan review process, mapping and related engineering services. DPW promotes quality of life in Fitchburg by providing varied and numerous leisure and recreational opportunities through the maintenance and improvement of public lands and parks, and the operation and maintenance of public burial grounds.
DID YOU KNOW?
- There are 236 miles of streets in Fitchburg. 182 miles are public streets, 45 are private, and 9 miles are state highway
- There are 73 bridges in Fitchburg, of which 31 are owned and maintained by the City
- The City owns 17 dams
- DPW is responsible for 427 acres of land in 33 parks
- DPW is responsible for 6 public burial grounds encompassing 64 acres
- Every year, we welcome hundreds of kids to DPW Day, where kids of all ages get to sit in DPW construction equipment, pick up tires in the excavator, play in a giant sandpile and take part in lots of other fun activities