List of Common Fraud Schemes
In addition to reporting credit card fraud and / or identify theft to the Fitchburg Police Department, please use the following link for information about reporting to Federal Trade Commission. Also included in this link is information for reporting to the three credit bureaus as well.
Protecting Against Credit Card Fraud
Preventing Theft From Vehicles
Thefts from motor vehicles have increased dramatically over the past several years. Many of these thefts occur when residents forget to secure their vehicles. With the popularity of GPS devices, iPods, cell phones, and other electronic equipment it is important to make sure your valuables are secured.
- Lock your vehicle and put valuables out of sight (preferably in the trunk or bring them into your home)
- Please make sure all windows and sunroofs are closed and secured properly
- Record serial numbers of your personal property. In the event that a theft does occur, please keep a written record of your electronics' serial numbers. If your property is located, it will make it easier for law enforcement to return it to you. Also, you can take a digital picture of your property as part of your record
- Do not leave personal property in plain view. A thief may not know what is in your purse or bag, but may be willing to break a window or door lock to find out
- Never leave your keys anywhere in or on the car
- Lock your car EVERY TIME you leave it unattended
If you see or hear suspicious activity, do not confront the suspects. Please report suspicious activity as it is happening.