Downtown Fitchburg Transformation Project
What is the Downtown Fitchburg Transformation Project?
This guide provides a brief overview of the work that will be taking place, the other projects it aligns with, and an overview of the exciting revitalization work taking place downtown.
The Main/Boulder project will convert Main Street and Boulder Drive to two-way traffic, implementing a number of Complete Streets improvements along the way. The end-result will be a project that works better for both cars and people, and will help support the revitalization of downtown Fitchburg.
July 30, 2021
Next week P.J. Albert will be continuing the drainage work on Boulder Drive on either side of Commercial Street, which will consist of drain line, manhole, and catch basin installations.
Early in the week, work will begin behind Tacos Tequilas, moving from downstream to upstream from Commercial Street towards the Water Street Bridge overpass. The road narrows in this area, so Boulder Drive will be closed and traffic will be routed up Cushing Street. This closure will last at least two days to complete this portion.
Also next week, there will be work on the other side of Commercial Street, moving from downstream to upstream from Commercial Street towards Putnam Street. There is enough width in this location so Boulder Drive is likely to be kept fully open for this portion of the work, approximately two days.
PJA will install some temporary asphalt paving, weather permitting.
July 23, 2021
P.J. Albert Inc. will be continuing work on the Main Street and Boulder Drive two-way conversion project. Early in the week they plan to complete the initial phase of excavation work at the intersection of Main Street and Boulder Drive, at which point they will move to Commercial Street to begin working on drainage improvements in that area. Expect temporary road closures and delays.
Downtown Fitchburg Transformation Project Designs
- The finished designs will be completed in late spring of 2020. The project will then go out to bid, with a target award date of June 2020. The work will begin in late summer, and is anticipated to be completed in fall of 2021.
- View simplified designs, which provide a basic overview of the project.
- View detailed construction designs, which provide construction-level detail of the work ahead.
Overview of Project Schedule
- July 2021: Mobilization
- Mid- July 2021: Erosion control, Test Pits (Project Wide)
- Late July 2021: Site Drainage, Main Street
- August 2021: Site Drainage, Boulder Drive
- August/September 2021: Sidewalk and Lighting Work, Main Street
- September/October 2021: Sidewalk and Lighting Work, Boulder Drive
- Winter Shut Down: December – March (weather dependent)
- Spring Start Up, March 2022 (weather dependent): East End Intersection Reconstruction
- April/May 2022: West End Intersection Reconstruction
- May 2022: Roadway and Landscaping Finishes
- Throughout the Project Period: Traffic Signalization Upgrade Work
- June 2022: Project Completion